Companion & Competitive PositioningCompetitive positioning prevents a certain ad from showing on the same page with another ad. Companion positioning, or roadblocking, tries to show 2 different ads together on the same page. The two ads should be linked by a companion/competitive positioning restriction. Other terms include tandem ad serving, tandem creatives, roadblocks, and site takeovers.
- Click on an ad name
- Select "Restrictions" tab, click "Add"
- Choose the type to be "Companion/Competitive Positioning"
- Choose the other ad that you want to show on the same page (companion), or don't want to show on the same page (competitive)
Multiple AdsIf you have multiple ads and do not want them to appear on the same page, you can apply competitive restrictions to the multiple ad pairs. For your convenience and to save you time, you can link them to one group, select tab "Restrictions \ Ad Restrictions" and click on "Apply competitive positioning to all active ads in this group". This tool will add competitive restrictions to all ads within the group so that only one ad in this group can be displayed per page view.
Ad Tag RequirementFor competitive and companion positioning restriction to work, you need to apply the restriction to the ads in our system first, then use one of the following options for the ad tag:
- Option 1 (recommended): Single-ad-call ad tag to display multiple ad placements with one request to the ad server. This method is recommended for the best performance. If you use this option, you do not need to set the spot number (option 2) when generating the ad tag.
Full Companion vs Partial CompanionFull companion means all ads on a page must be of the same type: either all companion ads or all non-companion ads. This allows the reliable display of companion ads and avoids mixing, or skipping, complementary ads. Thus, you would need to verify the restrictions to have enough companion and non-companion ads to go together on a single page. Full companion is enabled by default. To disable full companion requirement and enable partial companion, please contact us for instructions.
Other Articles in Ad Targeting using Restrictions
Learn about ad targeting and restrictions ad serving such as frequency capping, geo-targeting, quota, roadblock, flight date, etc.
- Ad Budget and Ad Rates
- Audience Session Targeting
- Frequency Capping
- Geolocation API
- Maximum/Target Quotas
- Proactive Targeting and Passive Restriction
- Restriction Status Notification
- Restrictions for an ad, zone, campaign or group
- Schedule Settings for Restriction
- Share of Voice - Share of Impression
- Start/End Date
- Target ads by placement URL or referring URL
- Target ads by visitor city, group of cities or within a radius
- Target ads by visitor country
- Target ads by visitor language
- Target Keywords
- Time Capping
- Visitor IP Address
- Wizard for setting up restrictions
Cannot find an answer for your question? Ask our Customer Care team
- How do I setup a companion ad in video ad serving?
"A companion ad runs along with a VAST video ad (pre-roll, mid-roll or post-roll) to provide a more integrated experience ..."
- Competitive & Companion Positioning
- How can I avoid duplicate ads on the same page?
"A single web page can have multiple advertising ad placements. For example, three 100x100 buttons display next to each other ..."
"Documentation for API methods to manage your campaigns in our ad server. API Version1.4.5 (build 20231101). This page was updated ..."
- What are VAST error codes?
"VAST 3.0 and newer supports error reporting with a specific code to assist troubleshooting. If the video player cannot handle, ..."